Friends of JCDS, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, has been helping to make wishes reality for thousands of our friends and neighbors who face daily challenges and adversity. JCDS stands for “Johnson County Developmental Supports,” an agency of Johnson County government that provides community-based programs and supports for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities in Johnson County, Kansas. Friends of JCDS was born on Valentine’s Day, 1990 to fulfill these major purposes:
- Establish an alliance between people interested in the issues and challenges facing the intellectual/developmental disability community;
- Foster public awareness and support for JCDS, the Friends of JCDS and the people they serve;
- Encourage charitable giving to aid in the delivery of quality services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities;
- Develop and maintain wheelchair accessible housing for people with physical as well as intellectual/developmental disabilities;
- Promote research and education aimed at treating and preventing intellectual disabilities.
Supporting people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is a lifelong endeavor, and funding is always in short supply! Through Friends, JCDS has been able to expand its base of support to meet widening funding gaps in many critical areas. Each year, the Friends of JCDS distributes funds for specific programs, activities and services to Johnson County residents with intellectual/developmental disabilities. These funds, raised through charitable contributions from the community, have provided support for wheelchair-accessible housing, direct emergency assistance to consumers, transportation, innovative programs and equipment, healthy lifestyles, and consumer recreation.
JCDS and Friends of JCDS Annual Reports